Sunday, September 23, 2007

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

Actually it is still hot here in Oklahoma. We are still close to 90* every day. I guess that could be considered frightful, since it is September and the temp should be coming down. I have been dreaming of the holidays. I have been ready to put up Halloween decorations for weeks already, but don't want my house to look like the store that puts things out months in advance. I promissed DH I wouldn't put up anything until October 1st. That doesn't stop me from being about to make Holiday cards. The last few days I have had a number of Fall cards. How about some Christmas cards. It is never too early to get ready for Christmas cards. I make several before finally picking one for my card to duplicate and mail to everyone.
So here are a couple that I have done this week. The first I made for the sketch challenge on SCS. #135 It may look more complicated to some than it actually is. Basically I started in the center. Here are the steps to cutting this card. Sorry there are no pictures. I made the card and then realized it would make a great tutorial.


1.) Start with a pattern piece 4"x5.25". (I used Dashing) Using the coluzzle cutting system, cut the forth (counting from the center) oval in the center of your paper.
2.) Measure 3" from the corner on the long side and 2" from the corner on the short side. Cut from these two marks. Do this on two opposite corners. I layed down my pattern paper on my stamping grid paper, placed a ruler on the two points and then used a cutting knife to cut the paper.
3.) Now for the-looks hard-easy part. Adhere the pattern to the next layer (4.25"x5.5"). I used Old Olive. Place the layers in your paper cutter. If you are using the SU! paper cutter, move the edge of the pattern paper you just cut so it is lined up with the clear center edge of the cutter. This will give you a semi-perfect and straight 1/8" layer. (I hope that made sense). Do this on both sides.
4.) Attach your ribbon if you choose at this time. Layer this on your card base. (I used a Real Red card from--attached to a Whipser White Card Base) I also pierced the corners before attaching the front to the base.
5.) Stamp the center image on a piece of cardstock. I used "Jolliest Time of the Year" in Basic Black on Whisper White. Color your image and surrounding as desired.
6.) Using your coluzzle cutting system. Cut your image out with the third oval, counting from the center. Adhere to your card as desired.
Stamps: Jolliest Time of the Year
Paper: Real Red, Old Olive, Whipsper White, Dashing DSP
Ink: Basic Black, Old Olive, Real Red, Summer Sun, River Rock
Accessories: Chocolate Chip Taffata Ribbon, Coluzzle Cutting System, Spounges, Aqua Painter, Mat Pack



When most people think Christmas, they think of red and green colors. I went with more of a non-traditonal color combination for this one. I think the blues give a wonderful winter look to cards. The layout is again from SCS. #137
Things the scan may not show well. The card base is Textured Soft Sky on top of Brocade Blue. The Snowman and Tree image are watercolored with Soft Sky from the ground up. The snowflakes in the background are stamped in versamark and embossed with Irridencent Ice. The snowman and tree panels are up on dimensionals.

Stamps: Flaky Friends
Paper: Brocade Blue, Soft Sky Textured, Regal Rose, Whisper White
Ink: Basic Black, Rich Regal Markers, Close to Cocoa, versamark
Accessories: Gold Elastic Cord, Ticket Corner Punch, Irridencent Ice EP, Aqua Painter, Dimensionals
Don't be afraid to start your Christmas Cards early. Try something new. A new color combination, a new cut or layout. Have fun designing.

1 comment :

Rebecca said...

How cute is that????? Maybe a little to involved for mass-production, but I may make one for myself.