Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Golden Leaves of Fall

I am working on catching up with the SCS Sketch Challenges. This card is for SC138. The open four areas needed something special so it didn't look plain, but didn't distract from the image. Embossing!!!
I started with the pumpkin. It is from the "Thoughly Thankful" stamp set on sale this month. I stamped it on Whisper White, colored it and then cut it out. I colored the pumpkin with a few markers; Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust (on the lines) and More Mustard (near the top and bottom). I then went back over it with Pumpkin Pie to make sure it was the primary color.
To follow the sketch I knew I wanted to use the square metal edge tag in the center. They come with an alluminum edge, but I wanted it to be gold to match the embossing I planned to do. I colored on the edge of my tag with a versamarker and then embossing the tag edge with Gold Embossing Powder. It took a little longer to heat up the embossing powder because it was on a metal surface and not on cardstock. It also took a couple of coats to get an even coat. I then used an aqua painter and my Garden Green marker to color the bottom area of the tag, and the aqua painter and ink from the lid of my Soft Sky ink pad for the top of the square tag. (scan doesn't pick it up as well as it looks in real life) The pumpkin is adhered with a couple of dimensionals.
I picked out my card base colors to go with the pumpkin colors. Layer 1 is the same Garden Green from the stem and bottom of tag. Layer 2 and 3 are Pumpkin Pie and Really Rust, respectively, to match the pumpkin coloring. The Really Rust layer was one rectangle. I embossed the leaved from the same stamp set with Versamark and Gold Embossing Powder. I cut it into 4 sections and adhered my card base together with snail adhesive.
I helped tone down the layers with some faux stitching from my gold ZIG Painty pen. The square metal edge tag was then attached with some dimensionals.
I really do like this stamp set and now is the perfect time to get it on sale. A simple $30 purchase and you can get all 6 stamp sets on sale at a great price.

No comments :