Thursday, April 3, 2008

Diaper Cake

Stamping can be used in many decorative ways and this was fun to make. It is the centerpiece at a baby shower I am hosting this weekend. It is made entirely of diapers. Some plans for diaper cakes show them as being unfolded, placed around the wheel of diapers and then held together with rubber bands. For this one I kept the diapers folded in half and held each round with cardstock strips and sticky strip. I also liked how it gave a ruffled edge look to the cake.
Most diaper cakes are then decorated with small baby items. I decorated mine with stamped images. I stamped the star from "Nursery Necessities" in three different colors (Barely Banana, Certainly Celery and Almost Amethyst). I punched them out with the large star punch and layered it on a Bashful Blue 1-3/8" circle and a Whisper White Scallop Circle. The stars are up on dimensionals and the whole thing is attached to the Bashful Blue strips around the cake with dimensionals.
I can't tell you how many diapers are in the cake as that is one of the games this weekend. I will tell you that each layer is a different size diaper. I started at the top with a few of the smallest size. On my table I layed out the strip of cardstock to go around the next layer and then layed down the diapers in a long fan. I rolled the diapers around the center with the aid of the cardstock. I had to do this several times to get them just right. For each tier I started the same way and then just added more layers of diapers and cardstock strips to hold it in place.

No comments :