Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shake, Shake, Shake

Who doesn't love an interactive card? Shaker cards are fun to give and receive and easy to make once you understand the concept.
First, choose the best filler material. Be sure to use something that is not too big (it will get stuck between the layers) or too small (it will fall out any gaps and stick to the adhesive easily). Fake snow does NOT work well. Though great in an ornament, there is not enough weight to it for a shaker card. I used some small beads I had left over from an old project.
Next, proper adhesive. You will need something to create space between the cover and the back. I used foam adhesive found in the household area of my local grocery store. It should be sticky on the top and bottom, but NOT the sides. I buy mine in a width of 1/4" and depth of about 1/8" It can be cut it into two smaller strips when necessary.
The base of the card is Real Red. I stamped "Dasher" #116816 and the sentiment from "Four the Holidays" #116921 onto a piece of Whisper White and attached it to the front of the card. It is difficult to see in the photo, but he has some small Rhinestones #119246 on his antlers. I cut the Top Note Die #113463 from a piece of Chocolate Chip cardstock, then adhered a piece of window sheet behind the top note frame with some regular snail adhesive. I tied a piece of Satin Ribbon around the frame to dress it up a little. To create the shaker area, I put foam adhesive around the entire boarder of the card. Be sure to not leave any gaps or the filler material can come out. After I had the foam in place, I peeled the backing off and put the top note window frame on top.

Did this make sence, but you would love to see it in person? Contact me today to book your own workshop and I will show you and your friends how to make a shaker card. Book a workshop during Sale-A-Bration (now till March 31, 2011) and take advantage of the added benifits of this great promotion.

No comments :