Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Day

I have been adoring the cute flower pot cards on SCS for a few weeks now. I like the flower pot design, but I plant most of my flowers in planter boxes on my porch. I have also been wanting to try out the faux wood technique. What a great chance to combine the two. So here is my Wooden Flower Box card. The box itself was made with a piece of Close to Cocoa cardstock. I wasn't exactly sure how tall I wanted it, so I scored it every 1/2" and folded it where I thought it looked the best. I forgot to measure it before giving it away--sorry. The extra score lines worked out well, as they gave a plank grain look across the card. I created the wood grain by first dragging a Whisper White Craft pad across the cardstock. Then I dragged a Chocolate Chip Classic Pad on top of that. It did put some white on my chocolate pad, but nothing I can't get off with a few swipes of a paper towel. I do like this technique a lot and may get another chocolate chip pad just for this purpose.
I folded down the top of the box and used my Scallop Edge Punch. All of the flowers and leaves were made with Sizzlets and my Big Shot Die Cutting Machine. I ran a bit of snail adhesive across the insert piece and layered the leaves every which way. Leaves are Always Artichoke and Kiwi Kiss. The flowers are made from Tangerine Tango, Riding Hood Red and Pink Pirouette, then attached with dimensionals. There are some silver brads in the centers and I used a Black Stampin' Marker on the pink flower seeds.
Though they are not the instuctions I used for this card, here are some wonderful directions for make a flower pot card.
I wrote a message and had my daughter sign her name to the insert and give it to her teacher today. Thanks to all those teachers out there that put up with our children and make them smarter, more productive members of our society. I appreciate all you do for us.

No comments :